Chefs have been using the method of “confit” for ages. I love to confit everything from turkey legs to garlic, tomatoes and onions. To confit is truly one of the magic elixirs of all time. I first had a garlic confit at Gjelina restaurant and I’ve been making my own version ever since.
Note: This recipe is a modified version from the cookbook Gjelina.
2 cups olive oil, or more as needed
8 heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled
12 fresh thyme sprigs or a bunch of any herbs that you like
3 bay leaves, bruised
Preheat oven to 350.
In a medium baking dish, combine olive oil, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. The garlic should be completely covered. Bake until the garlic cloves are soft, fragrant, and lightly browned but still hold their shape, about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
Looking for great ways to use your Garlic Confit MAGIC ELIXIR™? Here are great ideas from our followers!
- So many Whole30 compliant options with your favorite protein:
- As a Whole30 compliant dressing/condiment or delicious add in:
- Mix with mayo for a great dipping sauce or dressing.
- Use in garlic and oil homemade Caesar dressing.
- Mix in with mashed potatoes.
- Toss with cauliflower rice.
- Use the Garlic Confit MAGIC ELIXIR™ and the oil as a base for pesto.
- Mash into guacamole with Tomato Confit MAGIC ELIXIR™.
- On salad with Tomato Confit and Marinated Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS™.
- Use in Tomato soup or a tomato bruschetta with balsamic vinegar.
- Add more flavor to veggies:
- Toss with roasted red baby or fingerling potatoes.
- Use the oil and garlic right on top of roasted veggies.
- More (non Whole30) ideas:
- Garnish your favorite hummus.
- Add to a cream sauce for pasta.
- Add lemongrass and ginger for an Asian inspired marinade or topping for chicken or veggies.
- Smear it on crusty french bread with Brie or toasted sourdough for awesome garlic bread!
- Serve on a bed of Quinoa with veggies and greens.