Note: This recipe is a modified version from Gjelina, the cookbook.
I like to double this recipe because it’s the same amount of work and you will definitely use them!
2 pints cherry tomatoes, stemmed
2 cups olive oil (or more)
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 cup basil leaves
1 tsp kosher salt
3 fresh thyme sprigs
Immerse the tomatoes in oil with the spices, and cook them at 350°F for 30 minutes. After the tomatoes cool, reserve the oil and the tomatoes in your refrigerator in an airtight glass jar. Use over the next two weeks for pasta, in a homemade sauce, or anytime you want to flavor enhance a dish to make it more special.
Cook’s note – Here I have cooked the tomatoes at 350°, which is below the smoke point of Olive Oil.
Looking for some great ways to use Tomato Confit MAGIC ELIXIRS? Here are some awesome suggestions from our followers!
- Toss with zucchini or squash noodles
- So many ways to use with your favorite proteins:
- Great on chicken, fish (like Mahi Mahi)
- Mix in to your meatball recipe along with fresh garlic or Garlic Confit MAGIC ELIXIRS™.
- Put some on top of Pan Seared Pork Chops.
- Mix into taco meat.
- Add to Tinga de Pollo (Chicken in tomato chipotle sauce).
- Mix with some Garlic Confit MAGIC ELIXIRS™ and serve with roast lamb.
- Use with leftover Heroine Chicken on a bed of lettuce for an amazing salad.
- Put on top of scrambled or fried eggs or in a frittata.
- Add chopped olives and serve as a side dish with beef tenderloin.
- Salad dressings and condiments:
- Use the oil for a pesto base.
- Blend into your favorite salad dressing.
- The oil itself makes a great salad dressing.
- Pair with Green Goddess dressing MAGIC ELIXIRS™ and fresh crudites.
- Use in guacamole along with Garlic Confit MAGIC ELIXIRS™
- Use as a garnish for cashew hummus.
- Use in homemade ketchup and BBQ sauce.
- Mix with chopped avocados for an “avocado relish”.
- A great base for tomato bruschetta.
- Throw fresh garlic in before making the confit and create a great “2 for 1” confit!
- On top of roasted veggies.
- As a soup or sauce base.
- Other great ideas:
- Put on top of crusty bread with some Brie or goat cheese.
- Eat with burrata.
- Put on top of polenta.
- Drizzle on warm garlic bread.
- Mix into a Quinoa salad.
- Spanish style tomato bread – Pan con Tomate.
- Toss with pasta, garlic, fresh herbs.
- On a great Italian sandwich or ANY sandwich!
- Add to your favorite Eggplant Parmesan recipe.
- Perfect for margherita pizza.
- Serve with a creamy tarragon chicken dish.