A Sensational BLT Sandwich For Fall
As I start to look forward to fall and the crisp autumn winds begin to usher in a season of cozy sweaters and vibrant foliage, I find myself craving something familiar yet refreshingly different. What better way to welcome fall than with a classic BLT sandwich, with a delightful twist that elevates it from delicious to unforgettable?
The Ultimate BLT Sandwich Makeover
Magic Elixirs have earned their name for a reason! If you have never made one, this is a fantastic recipe to start with. In this dish, my favorite “secret ingredient,” California prunes, adds the hint of sweetness you never knew a BLT was missing. Once you try this BLT sandwich, you’ll never go back. It’s so simple yet so delicious, and it’s worth the extra step of making the jam.
What is a Magic Elixir?
Now, if you’re wondering what a Magic Elixir is exactly, let’s introduce you to them, because they’re a shortcut to deliciousness!
My new Magic Elixir for this BLT sandwich is incredibly simple yet unbelievably effective. Once you’ve tried it, there’s no going back.
What Elevates This Chipotle Prune Jam To Magic Elixir Status?
This fall-inspired BLT, with its sweet, smoky jam is a total masterpiece. The sweetness of California prunes pairs so nicely with the smoky chipotle. Trust me; this jam recipe will have people guessing.
In fact, the other day on my walk, my neighbor’s husband popped outside to say, “Teri, what was in that sandwich? It was so delicious!”
When people start chasing you down to tell you how fabulous a dish is, you know you’ve landed on a next-level recipe.
Teri’s Tips & Tricks For Elevating Your Next BLT Sandwich
- Use your favorite in-season, ripe tomatoes, fresh lettuce, and beautiful bread, and you can certainly elevate this dish even more by topping it with my famous Marinated Red Onions.
- Cooking bacon in the oven is the best way to prepare it! It’s easy, there’s less mess, and you can do it in advance. Sometimes I like to pull it out when it’s about 7/8 done and finish heating it right before I serve.
Step-By-Step How To Build A Fall-Inspired BLT Sandwich
Trust me: this is not just a sandwich, it’s an experience! One that I hope makes your fall even more special. So, gather your ingredients, and let’s go!
Other Fabulous Ways to Use Chipotle Prune Jam
This wonderful Magic Elixir made with California prunes has so many uses: it’s delicious with yogurt, on buttered bread, on top of ice cream, or on ricotta toast.
To change up the flavor of this jam try this:
Eliminate the chipotle and add half an ounce of toasted walnuts for a versatile, sweet pesto. All you have to do is crunch the walnuts with a hand mixer, then add the prunes and the water. You can use this pesto in all sorts of preparations, from piling high on crostini to smothering roasted chicken.
If you love this Chipotle Prune Jam like I do and want to try more of my fabulous Magic Elixirs, I suggest you start with the two I’ve shared below. They are two of my favorites I keep on hand and use regularly.
Crunchy Grilled Cheese with Sweet & Savory Caramelized Onions
This grilled cheese has become a true fan favorite at nocrumbsleft. The sweet and savory caramelized onions are a Magic Elixir of their own, and you will want them on everything. I cannot begin to tell you the number of prune converts we’ve had because of this recipe!
Are You Searching For More BLT Sandwich Recipes?
In my opinion, you can never have too many BLT variations in your back pocket. Below you will find a few more recipes to curb your cravings!
BLT Salad with Bacon and Creamy Chive Horseradish Dressing
Clearly, a BLT sandwich is lovely, but as a gluten-free gal, I am absolutely gob-smacked by a fabulous BLT salad!
If you make any of my BLT Sandwiches, leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you’re looking for more inspiration, sign up for our Friday Favorites newsletter, and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok to join in all the fun!Print
What better way to welcome fall than with a classic BLT sandwich, given a delightful twist that elevates it from good to unforgettable?
For the Chipotle Prune Jam Magic Elixir
- ¾ cup prunes
- 1 ½ cups almost boiling water
- ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper, or more if desired
For the Autumn BLT
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, or more
- 8 slices of bread, gluten-free or regular
- ½ cup mayonnaise, or more
- ½ cup prune jam
- 1 pint pear tomatoes
- 1 bunch of romaine lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 2 teaspoons dark balsamic vinegar, optional
- Marinated Red Onions
To Make the Chipotle Prune Jam Magic Elixir
- Tear each prune into four pieces and add to a small bowl. Add enough hot water to the bowl to cover the prunes and let them soak in the hot water for 10 minutes.
- With a fork, remove the prune pieces from the bowl and add to a jar. Reserve the soaking liquid.
- Add 6 tablespoons of the reserved water and blend for about five minutes. As you’re blending, keep adding water, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired smooth consistency – we used at least 7 tablespoons of water. Add the chipotle and blend until well incorporated.
- Store jam in the refrigerator.
To Make the Autumn BLT
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Set all of your ingredients out so that they’re ready for assembly.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the bacon flat, in one layer, on the sheet pan. Cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the bacon reaches your preferred crispiness. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Toast the bread in the oven to toast until golden brown. You can also use a toaster.
- Meanwhile, halve the tomatoes then salt the tomatoes and romaine.
- To assemble the BLT sandwich, take two pieces of bread and slather one with one to two tablespoons of mayonnaise on one with a few tablespoons of Chipotle Prune Jam on the other.
- Add a quarter of the tomatoes on top of the bread with the mayonnaise, then drizzle half a teaspoon of the balsamic vinegar over the tomatoes and top with as much romaine lettuce as you’d like. Add marinated red onions over the top.
- On the other slice of bread, add at least three slices of bacon and close the sandwich.
- Repeat the process to make three more sandwiches.
The recipe for Chipotle Prune Jam makes 3/4 cup of jam. Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator.
Keywords: BLT sandwich, sandwich, bacon, Chipotle Prune Jam, prune