What better way to welcome fall than with a classic BLT sandwich, given a delightful twist that elevates it from good to unforgettable?
For the Chipotle Prune Jam Magic Elixir
- ¾ cup prunes
- 1 ½ cups almost boiling water
- ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper, or more if desired
For the Autumn BLT
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, or more
- 8 slices of bread, gluten-free or regular
- ½ cup mayonnaise, or more
- ½ cup prune jam
- 1 pint pear tomatoes
- 1 bunch of romaine lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 2 teaspoons dark balsamic vinegar, optional
- Marinated Red Onions
To Make the Chipotle Prune Jam Magic Elixir
- Tear each prune into four pieces and add to a small bowl. Add enough hot water to the bowl to cover the prunes and let them soak in the hot water for 10 minutes.
- With a fork, remove the prune pieces from the bowl and add to a jar. Reserve the soaking liquid.
- Add 6 tablespoons of the reserved water and blend for about five minutes. As you’re blending, keep adding water, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired smooth consistency – we used at least 7 tablespoons of water. Add the chipotle and blend until well incorporated.
- Store jam in the refrigerator.
To Make the Autumn BLT
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Set all of your ingredients out so that they’re ready for assembly.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the bacon flat, in one layer, on the sheet pan. Cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the bacon reaches your preferred crispiness. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Toast the bread in the oven to toast until golden brown. You can also use a toaster.
- Meanwhile, halve the tomatoes then salt the tomatoes and romaine.
- To assemble the BLT sandwich, take two pieces of bread and slather one with one to two tablespoons of mayonnaise on one with a few tablespoons of Chipotle Prune Jam on the other.
- Add a quarter of the tomatoes on top of the bread with the mayonnaise, then drizzle half a teaspoon of the balsamic vinegar over the tomatoes and top with as much romaine lettuce as you’d like. Add marinated red onions over the top.
- On the other slice of bread, add at least three slices of bacon and close the sandwich.
- Repeat the process to make three more sandwiches.
The recipe for Chipotle Prune Jam makes 3/4 cup of jam. Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator.
Keywords: BLT sandwich, sandwich, bacon, Chipotle Prune Jam, prune