This Mind-Blowing Chicken Caesar Sandwich Recipe Is Too Easy
Who else is crazy about a Caesar Salad? Inspired by its iconic taste, I’ve crafted three unique Caesar-inspired recipes that are now stars in my kitchen lineup, including this Chicken Caesar Sandwich, which is beyond awesome. I wanted to create even more ways to enjoy a Caesar, so I found a way to both tuck it inside a potato as well as wrap it up. I’m sure you’ll be as thrilled with the new recipes as I am.
The Unexpected Origins of the Caesar Salad
Contrary to popular belief, the Caesar Salad doesn’t trace its roots back to Julius Caesar. Actually, this renowned dish was created in Tijuana, Mexico. Italian chef Caesar Cardini, facing a shortage of ingredients on July 4th, 1924, thought on his feet. With what he had on hand–lettuce stalks, olive oil, raw egg, croutons, parmesan cheese, and Worcestershire sauce–he invented a salad meant to be eaten by hand. Dipping the lettuce leaves into the dressing made it an instant classic.
Teri’s Twist: The Caesar Salad Sandwich
My new Caesar Salad Sandwich, served on buttery, crusty bread, is an exceptional grilled cheese with the flavors and crunch of a Caesar Salad. We used mozzarella cheese, which melts perfectly, and a sprinkle of parmesan, adding a crisp texture and some lovely classic flavor notes. Take a look at how I make this sensational sandwich below.
Teri’s Tip: How to Keep the Greens Fresh and Crunchy on a Hot Sandwich.
To keep the salad greens ultra-crisp, I add them right after cooking the sandwich. Just open your sandwich and add the fresh elements and a bit of my light Caesar dressing, then top it off with my Marinated Red Onions. It is utterly scrumptious and so much fun to celebrate the satisfyingly crunchy, umami-enhanced experience of a Caesar Salad by adding it to this luscious, cheesy goodness.
Keep Scrolling For More Caesar-Inspired Recipes!
A stuffed potato is the best when I’m on Whole30. It feels indulgent, but it’s packed with fabulous ingredients. These take a little prep, but they are so worth it. It is a great family dinner because everyone can make it their own.
The shrimp for this salad is super easy to make: just sauté, turn off the heat, add clarified butter, then toss in Picante spice blend. They are delicious on any green, served with Marinated Onions, and cucumbers, then finished with sunflower seeds. And let’s not even get started on my Lime Caesar Dressing; it’s a run don’t walk situation. Great on this salad, but perfect on so many other dishes.
This salad is loaded with my Everyday Roast Chicken Breast, Jammy Eggs, Marinated Red Onions, and beautiful greens. I added niçoise olives and artichokes, but it’s also lovely with blanched green beans and radishes…the sky’s the limit, especially at this time of year. It’s also lovely with a bit of crunch, like this parmesan crisp.
If you make this recipe for my Chicken Caesar Salad Sandwich, leave a comment and let me know what you think. If you’re looking for more inspiration, sign up for our Friday Favorites newsletter, and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok to join in all the fun!Print
This Chicken Caesar Sandwich is decadent, delicious, & always hits the spot! With its buttery crouton-like bread, creamy dressing, & perfectly cooked chicken.
For the Creamy Caesar Dressing
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup light olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 2 anchovy filets
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the sandwiches:
- 8 slices of sourdough or gluten free bread of choice, we used Canyon Bakehouse Heritage White Bread
- 6 ounces mozzarella, sliced
- 2 ounces Parmesan, shredded
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Marinated Red Onions
Marinate the chicken.
- In a medium bowl, make the marinade by mixing the olive oil, oregano, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in a container and pour the marinade over them. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or longer, preferably overnight.
Make the dressing.
- Crack an egg into a Mason Jar. Using a hand blender, slowly add oil as you blend, pausing to let it incorporate. Continue to slowly add more oil.
- Then add the garlic and the anchovies and blend. Add the Dijon, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and
blend well. Cover and place in the refrigerator. The dressing can be made a day ahead.
Make the chicken.
- When ready to cook the chicken, remove from the fridge and let them come to room temperature for at least ten minutes.
- Heat a cast iron or frying pan over medium-high and add two tablespoons of olive oil. Cook the breasts for 5 minutes and then flip. Cook for 5 minutes and then cover the pan and continue cooking for an additional 4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Cook longer for a larger breast.
- Remove from the pan and let them rest.
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the chicken breasts lengthwise and set aside.
Make the Sandwich.
- Heat oven to 175°F.
- Take two pieces of bread. On one slice, layer 1 1/2 ounces of sliced mozzarella and ½ ounce of shredded parmesan. On the other slice, layer 4 ounces of chicken and close the sandwich.
- Repeat with three more sandwiches.
- Heat a cast iron or frying pan over medium heat and add one tablespoon of butter and two tablespoons of olive oil until melted and combined. Add two sandwiches to the pan at a time, unless you can fit more than two without overcrowding.
- Griddle the sandwiches for 4 minutes a side, for a total of 8 minutes, until the cheese is melty and bubbly.
- Remove the sandwiches from the pan and, if cooking in batches, place them on a sheet tray and keep them warm in the oven while you finish the rest.
- Add the remaining olive oil and butter to the pan and repeat with the other two sandwiches.
- To serve, open the sandwiches; the cheese side is on the bottom, and place a few romaine leaves over the chicken (don’t forget to salt them!). Dress with two tablespoons of Caesar dressing and top with Marinated Red Onions on each sandwich.
- Close the sandwiches and cut them in half. Serve and enjoy.
Keywords: Caesar, Chicken Caesar, Caesar Salad, Caesar Sandwich, Sandwich