Vegan Pesto Grilled Vegetable Salad
As a vegetable forward person and a lover of all things vegan, I knew I had to make a vegan version of my Grilled Vegetable Salad! One of my favorite things to do is make delicious vegan food for friends. There are millions of ways to make fabulous vegan dishes, so never let anyone make you feel limited. As a bonus, this dish is even Whole30!
How to Grill Your Vegetables
Grilling your vegetables sounds simple, but there are some tricks to really make it successful and make sure you get that beautiful crunch. For zucchini, a lot of people like to sweat it and remove the moisture, but I find it just as successful to grill right away after cutting. Don’t allow it to sit around; toss it in oil and get it right on that grill!
When grilling, make sure you have a good grill pan that allows enough heat to reach the vegetables for a good char. I love this one. Then do your vegetables one kind at a time. They cook at different temperatures and they have different moisture levels. If you try to do too many at once, you’ll end up with a soggy mess.
To get a beautiful crispy brown on your potatoes, the secret is a parboil. Throw them in boiling water for about ten minutes until they just barely get tender. It is a total game changer. Taste the difference and thank me later! Anytime I make potatoes I always always parboil. There’s simply no other way!
Assemble Your Grilled Vegetable Salad
Once everything is grilled, you are ready to assemble! Keep your vegetables on a sheet tray, and bring out a big bowl for tossing. In the bottom of the bowl, add Marinated Onion Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Stir to combine, and then slowly add in the vegetables, always stirring from the bottom. Lastly, add Pistachio Pesto and stir gently, so that the pesto does not lose its integrity.
Once all the vegetables are combined, add Marinated Onions along with herbs and a squeeze of lemon. Serve with more pistachio pesto on the side and enjoy!
If you make this Vegan Pesto Grilled Vegetable Salad, be sure you rate and review it below. I can’t wait to hear what you think and what fun ways you make it your own. If you’re looking for more inspiration, sign up for our Friday Favorites newsletter, and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok to join in all the fun!Print
Vegan Pesto Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Diet: Vegan
This Whole30 & vegan grilled vegetable salad is perfect for summer grilling! It’s unbelievably delicious, and you won’t even realize it’s vegan!
- 1 pound zucchini
- ½ pound of asparagus, whole
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound small white potatoes, parboiled, partially cooked
- Marinated Red Onions and oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup pistachio pesto plus more for serving, room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh basil, ribbon cut
- Scant ¼ cup thinly cut chives
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Turn the grill on to 450°F and preheat the grill pan for 5 minutes.
- Wash and dry the zucchini, then cut into ½ inch rounds.
- Put the asparagus, zucchini, and bell peppers in a large bowl, keeping the vegetables separate. Drizzle them with the olive oil, season with one teaspoon of salt and gently toss each group of vegetables. *Preserve the leftover oil in the mixing bowl for a later step.
- Grill the vegetables one by one on the grill pan, starting with zucchini for 5 minutes on one side, then flip the slices and cook until cooked through and tender, about 2 more minutes. Set aside on a sheet tray.
- Next, put the peppers on the grill pan and grill until charred and softened, for about 20 minutes, flipping the peppers every 5 minutes. Once cooked through, set aside on the sheet tray.
- Place the asparagus on the grill pan until crisp-tender, for 4 to 5 minutes, tossing once halfway. Set aside on the sheet tray.
- In the mixing bowl we used earlier, toss the pre-cooked potatoes in the remaining oil and salt. Place on the grill pan and cook until browned, for 7 to 10 minutes and flipping halfway through.
- Make the dressing: Stir the marinated onions and measure out ¼ of the red onion oil in the bowl. Mix the marinated red onion oil and red vinegar in the big bowl that was used for the potatoes.
- Make the salad: Cut the slightly cooled asparagus into thirds. De-stem, peel and remove the seeds from the bell peppers as best you can and tear or cut into segments. Put the grilled vegetables, potatoes, and half of the herbs in the bowl with the dressing and toss from the bottom until it is all coated. Add the pistachio pesto in small dollops and gently mix it into the salad just before serving. Sprinkle remaining herbs over top.
- Serve and enjoy. Optionally, marinated onions, extra pistachio pesto and a squeeze of lemon are also great on top.
Keywords: vegan grilled vegetables, vegan salad
I don’t normally post comments but this recipe is OUT OF THIS WORLD!! Absolutely LOVED it
Pingback: The Best Meatless Monday Salad! - nocrumbsleft
Pingback: The Ultimate Vegan Salad Recipe: Fresh, Flavorful, and Fabulous - nocrumbsleft