This Whole30 & vegan grilled vegetable salad is perfect for summer grilling! It’s unbelievably delicious, and you won’t even realize it’s vegan!
- 1 pound zucchini
- ½ pound of asparagus, whole
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound small white potatoes, parboiled, partially cooked
- Marinated Red Onions and oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup pistachio pesto plus more for serving, room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh basil, ribbon cut
- Scant ¼ cup thinly cut chives
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Turn the grill on to 450°F and preheat the grill pan for 5 minutes.
- Wash and dry the zucchini, then cut into ½ inch rounds.
- Put the asparagus, zucchini, and bell peppers in a large bowl, keeping the vegetables separate. Drizzle them with the olive oil, season with one teaspoon of salt and gently toss each group of vegetables. *Preserve the leftover oil in the mixing bowl for a later step.
- Grill the vegetables one by one on the grill pan, starting with zucchini for 5 minutes on one side, then flip the slices and cook until cooked through and tender, about 2 more minutes. Set aside on a sheet tray.
- Next, put the peppers on the grill pan and grill until charred and softened, for about 20 minutes, flipping the peppers every 5 minutes. Once cooked through, set aside on the sheet tray.
- Place the asparagus on the grill pan until crisp-tender, for 4 to 5 minutes, tossing once halfway. Set aside on the sheet tray.
- In the mixing bowl we used earlier, toss the pre-cooked potatoes in the remaining oil and salt. Place on the grill pan and cook until browned, for 7 to 10 minutes and flipping halfway through.
- Make the dressing: Stir the marinated onions and measure out ¼ of the red onion oil in the bowl. Mix the marinated red onion oil and red vinegar in the big bowl that was used for the potatoes.
- Make the salad: Cut the slightly cooled asparagus into thirds. De-stem, peel and remove the seeds from the bell peppers as best you can and tear or cut into segments. Put the grilled vegetables, potatoes, and half of the herbs in the bowl with the dressing and toss from the bottom until it is all coated. Add the pistachio pesto in small dollops and gently mix it into the salad just before serving. Sprinkle remaining herbs over top.
- Serve and enjoy. Optionally, marinated onions, extra pistachio pesto and a squeeze of lemon are also great on top.
Keywords: vegan grilled vegetables, vegan salad