Greek salad! Have you ever had one of those evenings when you have to put together a fantastic dinner for unexpected guests and you don’t have any time? With summer in full bloom, it’s time to pick up the ingredients of the season. There are cucumbers, summer tomatoes, and sweet peppers. All paired with my favorite ingredient: high quality sheep’s milk Feta.
If you have never bought sheep’s milk feta in brine, you need to! It’s an absolute revelation and truly a magic elixir. But don’t worry if you are doing Whole30 and you can’t have cheese on your salad, with the oil from Marinated Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS as a dressing, this salad is still a winner!
How to Make Greek Salad
To bring in Greek flavor, we created a seasoning blend and made my Sizzling Everyday Roasted Chicken Breasts with it. (See below for the recipes). If you want to take this salad over the top, you can finish with my “Feta-grette” (click for the recipe).
One of the great things about this salad is that you can make several of the components ahead of time. I often cook the chicken breasts an hour ahead and then let them sit in the pan. Marinated Onions can be made a day in advance and the Greek seasoning blend can be made anytime and kept in an airtight container. So this salad isn’t just great for last minute guests but also for a gorgeous and easy weeknight dinner for you and your family. And the leftovers make such a lovely lunch to go.
What I love most about this salad is how you can make it your own! Every time I make it I put a new spin on it. I love doing it with steak, shrimp, or tofu. Have fun with it and develop something totally delicious for your family and friends. Rate and review it below in the comments, and be sure to come join us on Instagram and Tiktok!Print
Our greek salad is perfect for Spring cooking! It’s great for a family meal, a party, or even weeknight eating!
For the Salad:
- 2 Greek style Everyday Roasted Chicken Breasts
- 2 pounds of assorted tomatoes
- 2 batches of Marinated Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS (click here for recipe)
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 sweet or spicy summer pepper, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup olives
- 3/4 pound of Sheep’s milk Feta cheese in brine
Greek style Everyday Roasted Chicken Breasts:
- 2 bone in and skin on chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tsp of Greek seasoning blend (see recipe below)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the Greek Seasoning Blend:
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp dried mint
For the Creamy Feta Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 2 oz sheep’s milk feta
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp Chives
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Make the Blend:
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until well combine. Store in an airtight container.
- Make the Chicken Breasts:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rub 3/4 tsp of the Greek seasoning blend on each chicken breast. Then, drizzle 1/2 of the olive oil on each and tub the oil and seasonings all over each piece. Finish by sprinkling 1/2 tsp salt on each breast.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, then brush the top of the chicken with the juices. Return to oven for 5 minutes to brown the top. Remove from oven. If it isn’t brown enough at this point, baste again, turn up the oven temp, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients together until smooth. If needed, season with salt and pepper.
- Make the Salad:
- Assemble vegetables and chicken breasts on a large platter. Add the Feta cheese and top with the Marinated Onions. Salt and pepper the vegetables and drizzle a generous amount of Marinated Onion oil all over the salad. Serve with the vinaigrette and enjoy!
Remember that this recipe is just a guide. You can adjust amounts so you have enough for the group you’re feeding. Maybe there is a tomato lover so you can add more tomatoes. Cheese lovers? Get a pound of Feta. Or if someone likes more protein, make an extra chicken breast and add that on!