Hummus Crispy Chicken Plate
This month I’m focused on summer weeknight eating. Inspiration for this dish came from Mediterranean flavors and the farmer’s market seasonal produce. If you have a Middle Eastern store near you, I highly recommend checking it out. It will have the best hummus you can find at a very reasonable price. Plus, you’ll be able to expand your spice rack with some fantastic finds.
The height of summer is all about quick, cool eating, and what’s more perfect than a smear of fabulous hummus topped with bites of crisp summer produce celebrating the goodness of the season, greens, and my grilled chicken crispies? Finish your platter with my Marinated Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS and a drizzle of the marinated olive oil that is a treasure unto itself.
This dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner after the gym or a long bike ride. Marinate the chicken strips either overnight or the morning of–so great for busy folks. Have it ready and in the fridge. Pick up your favorite height of summer produce at the local market. Get your grill oiled and clean in advance, and grill the marinated strips three minutes a side.
This meal is perfect for a nocrumbsleft Platter. It’s a simple recipe, but it is a perfect celebration meal. Plus, you can really make this dish your own. You can do a fully homemade platter, or if you’re like me and looking for ways to avoid cooking in the summer, combine some store-bought or take-out items with some homemade flare. It’s delicious either way, and you can mix it up all summer long to create new masterpieces.
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Pairing knife and chef’s knife
- Garlic press
- Citrus juicer
- Citrus zester
- green onions or chives, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 container Hummus (I used garlic, but use your favorite)
- Marinated Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS – click here for the recipe
- cucumbers, thinly sliced
- baby arugula
- Mediterranean olives
1. Cut chicken breast lengthwise, down its longest points, into flat strips about the width of your finger, at a slight angle.
2. Make the marinade: Zest the lemon, then juice the lemon. In a bowl, stir together olive oil, oregano, the zest and juice of the lemon and garlic. Set aside.
3. Place chicken into a container. Salt and pepper thoroughly. Pour half the marinade over the chicken, flip, and pour the other half over. Marinate overnight or for a couple hours.
4. Make the Marinated Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS – recipe here
4. Remove chicken from the refrigerator.
5. Make sure your grill is clean, oiled, and hot. Grill chicken for 2-3 minutes a side. (This can be done a day ahead for ease of weeknight eating.)
6. Here’s the fun part: assembly. Put some hummus on a platter and spread it out. Then arrange some chicken strips. In sections, add arugula. Then sprinkle cucumbers, tomatoes, and tuck in Nicoise olives. Cover with Marinated Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS, drizzle a circle of the olive oil from the onions, and garnish with green onions or chives. Serve.