My new current favorite dish is my own updated spin on a Filet O’ Fish. Sure to please anyone, especially those eating more seafood this month, it’s as simple as a nice piece of cod dusted with almond meal, paprika, and garlic powder, then sautéed and served with my classic Tarragon Tartar MAGIC ELIXIRS™, Marinated Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS™, and Refrigerator Pickles MAGIC ELIXIRS™.
- Four 6-ounce cod filets
- 2 cups almond meal, processed in food processor until it’s super fine
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- 1 Tbsp clarified butter
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Refrigerator Pickles MAGIC ELIXIRS™
- Marinated Red Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS™
- Tarragon Tartar Sauce MAGIC ELIXIRS™ (below)
Salt and pepper each fish filet well on each side with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper per filet.
In a bowl, beat the eggs very well with a fork and set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix the super fine almond meal, smoked paprika and granulated garlic together.
Making sure not to mix any of the egg mixture in the first bowl with the almond meal mixture in the second bowl (for example, I use my right hand for the egg and my left for the almond meal), one by one, handling each filet minimally and gently, dip each filet in the egg, then remove and drop into the almond meal to cover each thoroughly.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the clarified butter. Then add the olive oil to the pan and mix together to combine. Reduce the heat to medium low.
Sauté each cod filet in the pan for 3 minutes a side, until just golden brown.
Serve in between two pieces of lettuce with my Refrigerator Pickles, Marinated Onions, and Tarragon Tartar Sauce MAGIC ELIXIRS™.
Tarragon Tartar Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups homemade mayonnaise, recipe below (or your favorite Whole30 compliant mayonnaise)
- 3 shallots, minced
- 4 cornichons, minced
- 18 green olives, pitted and chopped (I use Cerignola; I believe they make a significant difference)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, or to taste
- Compliant hot sauce to taste
After finely chopping the shallots, cornichons, green olives, and tarragon, stir them into the mayonnaise, vinegar, and hot sauce until combined well.