I’m delighted to be sponsored by my friends and partner, Icelandic Provisions. So many of you are asking questions about what Skyr is. Think of Skyr as a cousin to yogurt, but more delicious, more healthful, with less sugar, more protein and a taste and texture that is amazing. Although there are different brands that say they are from Iceland, this comes from ancient heirloom cultures. Icelandic Provisions is the only real Skyr in the US. They have heirloom Skyr cultures that go back centuries in Iceland… cultures is what defines Skyr and gives it it’s rich, creamy taste and texture. And that’s what makes it so fun to cook with.
Tomatoes! Is part of the reason that September is so glorious. There is nothing like an early fall tomato to make you feel alive. Here’s a great idea for an updated Caprese. Switch out the mozzarella for creamy Icelandic Provisions Skyr and mix with pistachio pesto for a really luscious, lovely side dish. It’s wonderful paired with a grilled skirt steak, but this platter alone can make a lovely weeknight dinner. Stick it in the middle of the table and have everybody dig in. What I love about Skyr is the texture and weight, which makes it really hold up in a sauce. It’s wonderful mixed with pesto like this, or in a dip, sandwich spread or as a smear with eggs.
Pesto Skyr Tomato Bliss
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup Pistachio Pesto
- 2 Icelandic Provisions Plain Skyr
Pistachio Pesto Ingredients
- 1 cup raw pistachios
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, put through the press
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- ½ - 1 cup olive oil (depending on your desired consistency)
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Make pistachio pesto by blending the raw pistachios in a food processor. Next, add pressed garlic, basil and parsley. When all is mixed well, slowly add ½ cup olive oil, or more if desired. Then add lemon juice, salt and pepper, and combine until well mixed.
- Mix 1/2 cup pistachio pesto with 2 containers of Icelandic Provisions Skyr. (add more pesto if needed, your preference)
- Slice up gorgeous tomatoes of your choice, place on a platter surrounding a bowl of the Skyr Pesto Sauce. Serve
Note: If you are doing Whole30 or Paleo use this sauce as an alternative.