- 2 Beef Shanks,
- Kosher salt
- Freshly Ground Black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 spanish onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 celery rib, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups Batali’s Essential Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup lightly packed parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dinkey grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 375 F. Season the beef shank with salt and pepper. In a large pan that can be used from stove top to oven, heat the olive oil. Add the beef shanks and cook over medium high heat, turning until browned all over, about 12 minutes. Remove and set aside on a plate.
Spoon off all but a couple of tablespoons of the fat from the pan. Add the onions, celery, carrot and theme and cook, stirring until soft. Add the **** and simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Return the beef shanks to the pan, cover and braise in the oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes or until the meat is very tender.
While the meat is cooking in the oven, make the gremolata by tossing the parsley with the horseradish and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Make the horseradish mayonnaise by stirring in horseradish into mayonnaise until you have your desired consistency.
Remove the shanks from the oven. Place a serving dish. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and spoon over the meat. Sprinkle with the gremolata and serve with the horseradish mayonnaise.
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
- Citrus zester
- Pairing knife and chef’s knife
- Large oven-proof pan
- Mixing bowls