Grilled Shoreditch Chicken Thighs
One of the go-to underrated recipes from my No Crumbs Left cookbook is Shoreditch Chicken. It’s such delicious, juicy, and crispy chicken recipe. It takes a little effort and quite a few ingredients, but this uniquely delicious marinated chicken main course is so great for dinner and excellent for advance meal prep.
Use High-Quality Chicken
As you’ve heard me say before, delicious food starts with delicious ingredients. There are certain items I prefer to get high quality because they truly make the difference in the final product. Chicken absolutely fits into this category for me.
To make this dish even more of a weeknight meal, I developed it into a grilled chicken recipe. Marinate the chicken thighs in the morning or the night before, and then just pull them out and grill them later for an easy and delicious dinner. The result is a truly delicious chicken that has so much flavor!
How to Make Grilled Shoreditch Chicken Thighs
This dish starts by making the marinade. There are quite a few ingredients, but it creates such an amazing depth of flavor that is totally worth it. This is the most complicated part of the dish, and it just gets easier from here. After the marinade is assembled, pour it over your salted chicken thighs in a container. Store in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
After it is marinated, pull the chicken out of the marinade and pat it with a towel to remove excess marinade. This will help avoid any flareups on the grill. Then, lightly brush the skin side of the chicken with oil so it doesn’t stick to the grill. Now, you’re ready to grill!
Put the chicken skin side down on the grill and cook until brown and crispy, about 15 minutes. Flip the chicken over and continue to cook until nearly cooked through. Take some of the reserved marinade and brush it on the skin of the chicken for the last few minutes of grilling. This will lock in some extra flavor and juiciness. Once the chicken reaches temperature, remove from the grill and enjoy!
Be sure to rate and review the recipe below. I can’t wait to hear what you think. If you’re looking for more fun, sign up for our Friday Favorites newsletter, and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok to make sure you don’t miss a thing!Print
These Grilled Chicken Thighs are a riff on one of my favorite recipes from the cookbook! It’s great for weeknight eating and meal prep.
For the Spice Blend:
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon sumac
For the Chicken:
- ¼ cup freshly grated ginger
- ¼ cup freshly grated turmeric root
- 3 packs bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk, blended
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a small bowl, make a spice blend by combining the hot paprika, coriander, smoked paprika, Aleppo pepper, caraway seeds and sumac, stirring to mix well. Measure out 3 tablespoons for this recipe and set aside. Save the remainder for another day.
- Make the marinade: Into a medium bowl, squeeze the juice from the grated ginger and turmeric. Discard the pulp. Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, ginger juice, turmeric juice, olive oil, garlic, the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons of salt and the 3 tablespoons of spice blend.
- Arrange the chicken thighs in a shallow container and sprinkle with 1 ½ teaspoons salt.
- Reserve about ½ cup of the marinade, then pour the remaining marinade over the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight if you have the time.
- Preheat the grill to 350°F.
- Remove the marinated chicken from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature.
- Put the chicken on a baking sheet and pat with a paper towel to remove excess marinade. Brush the skin side of the chicken lightly with oil.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down on the outside edges of the grill (to help prevent flare ups) and cook until brown and crispy, about 15 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue to cook. When the chicken is nearly done (almost at 165°F on instant read thermometer) brush the skin side with a bit of the reserved marinade and cook for 5 minutes more, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer until it is reduced by 1/2, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken drizzled with the reduced marinade then sprinkled with parsley.
Keywords: grilled chicken, grilled chicken thighs