Grilled Shoreditch Chicken Thighs
One of my go to, underrated recipes from the cookbook is Shoreditch Chicken. It’s so delicious, juicy, and crispy. It takes a little prep, but it is great for dinner and meal prep. To make it even more of a weeknight meal, I decided to develop it into a grilled recipe! Marinate the chicken thighs in the morning or the night before, and then just pull them out and grill them up for an easy and delicious dinner.
What Chicken to Use
As you’ve heard me say before, delicious food starts with delicious ingredients. There are certain items I prefer to get high quality because they truly make the difference in the final product. Chicken absolutely fits into this category for me. That is why I always have Cooks Venture Chicken on hand. It is, without exaggeration, my favorite chicken I’ve ever had.
Cooks Venture uses Pioneer chicken, which is a heritage breed. This means it’s a completely different breed from most chicken you’d find at the grocery store. It’s slow growth, pasture raised, and never has any antibiotics or hormones. The result is a truly delicious chicken that actually has flavor! So often I find that chicken can be rather bland, or something that you have to bring flavor to. Instead, Cooks Venture brings the flavor to the chicken, and it’s totally fabulous.
How to Make Grilled Shoreditch Chicken Thighs
Once you have your chicken, you can start to make your dish! Start by creating the marinade. There are quite a few ingredients, but it creates such an amazing depth of flavor that is totally worth it. This is the most complicated part of the dish, and it just gets easier from here. After the marinade is assembled, pour it over your salted chicken thighs in a container. Store in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
After it is marinated, pull the chicken out of the marinade and pat it with a towel to remove excess marinade. This will help avoid any flareups on the grill. Then, lightly brush the skin side of the chicken with oil so it doesn’t stick on the grill. Now, you’re ready to grill!
Put the chicken skin side down on the grill and cook until brown and crispy, about 15 minutes. Flip the chicken over and continue to cook until nearly cooked through. Take some of the reserved marinade and brush it on the skin of the chicken for the last few minutes of grilling. This will lock in some extra flavor and juiciness. Once the chicken reaches temperature, remove from the grill and enjoy!
So get ordering your Cooks Venture Chicken and get cooking your Grilled Chicken Thighs! Be sure to rate and review the recipe below. I can’t wait to hear what you think. If you’re looking for more fun, sign up for our Friday Favorites newsletter, and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok to make sure you don’t miss a thing!Print
Grilled Shoreditch Chicken Thighs
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Marinating Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Diet: Gluten Free
These Grilled Chicken Thighs are a riff on one of my favorite recipes from the cookbook! It’s great for weeknight eating and meal prep.
For the Spice Blend:
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon sumac
For the Chicken:
- ¼ cup freshly grated ginger
- ¼ cup freshly grated turmeric root
- 3 packs Cooks Venture bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk, blended
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a small bowl, make a spice blend by combining the hot paprika, coriander, smoked paprika, Aleppo pepper, caraway seeds and sumac, stirring to mix well. Measure out 3 tablespoons for this recipe and set aside. Save the remainder for another day.
- Make the marinade: Into a medium bowl, squeeze the juice from the grated ginger and turmeric. Discard the pulp. Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, ginger juice, turmeric juice, olive oil, garlic, the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons of salt and the 3 tablespoons of spice blend.
- Arrange the chicken thighs in a shallow container and sprinkle with 1 ½ teaspoons salt.
- Reserve about ½ cup of the marinade, then pour the remaining marinade over the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight if you have the time.
- Preheat the grill to 350°F.
- Remove the marinated chicken from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature.
- Put the chicken on a baking sheet and pat with a paper towel to remove excess marinade. Brush the skin side of the chicken lightly with oil.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down on the outside edges of the grill (to help prevent flare ups) and cook until brown and crispy, about 15 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue to cook. When the chicken is nearly done (almost at 165°F on instant read thermometer) brush the skin side with a bit of the reserved marinade and cook for 5 minutes more, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer until it is reduced by 1/2, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken drizzled with the reduced marinade then sprinkled with parsley.
Keywords: grilled chicken, grilled chicken thighs
I love the original recipe for this chicken! I will try this grill method next. I understand fresh is always best but the tumeric juice stains everything! I am contemplating ground tumeric instead. Is that a terrible idea? What should the ratio be ground vs fresh? Thank you!!