These Grilled Chicken Thighs are a riff on one of my favorite recipes from the cookbook! It’s great for weeknight eating and meal prep.
For the Spice Blend:
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon sumac
For the Chicken:
- ¼ cup freshly grated ginger
- ¼ cup freshly grated turmeric root
- 3 packs bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk, blended
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a small bowl, make a spice blend by combining the hot paprika, coriander, smoked paprika, Aleppo pepper, caraway seeds and sumac, stirring to mix well. Measure out 3 tablespoons for this recipe and set aside. Save the remainder for another day.
- Make the marinade: Into a medium bowl, squeeze the juice from the grated ginger and turmeric. Discard the pulp. Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, ginger juice, turmeric juice, olive oil, garlic, the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons of salt and the 3 tablespoons of spice blend.
- Arrange the chicken thighs in a shallow container and sprinkle with 1 ½ teaspoons salt.
- Reserve about ½ cup of the marinade, then pour the remaining marinade over the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight if you have the time.
- Preheat the grill to 350°F.
- Remove the marinated chicken from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature.
- Put the chicken on a baking sheet and pat with a paper towel to remove excess marinade. Brush the skin side of the chicken lightly with oil.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down on the outside edges of the grill (to help prevent flare ups) and cook until brown and crispy, about 15 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue to cook. When the chicken is nearly done (almost at 165°F on instant read thermometer) brush the skin side with a bit of the reserved marinade and cook for 5 minutes more, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer until it is reduced by 1/2, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken drizzled with the reduced marinade then sprinkled with parsley.
Keywords: grilled chicken, grilled chicken thighs