Scroll down below the recipe to Enter the Chickapea Pasta Giveaway.
I’m happy to be sponsored by Chickapea Pasta. This gluten-free, organic, chickpea and lentil pasta has a nutty goodness and is wonderful topped with my mushroom ragu.
A number of years ago I started eating gluten-free(ish) and physically, it made me feel so much better. It’s always a challenge to find gluten-free pasta that isn’t corn-based, so I was happy to find Chickapea Pasta. It has a unique taste and texture, and it stands up to some of my very bold sauces. It’s non-gmo, has a low glycemic index and is a superfood with more than 25 grams of protein. If you’re tired of choosing between convenience and nutrition, it’s both!
I wanted to create a pasta that worked for my vegetarian and vegan family members, and this one is ideal because you can make it either way. To take the flavor up a notch, I made a homemade vegetable stock (although, feel free to use a store bought vegetable stock) and boiled the pasta in it. Fall is a wonderful time of year to find assorted mushrooms so I chose these dry Chanterelle, Cremini and Shitaki mushrooms. By soaking the chanterelles, I was left with a magic elixir. One of the tricks of the pasta is to make it al dente, and in the end I combined the mushrooms with sherry, garlic, and my marinated pearl onions MAGIC ELIXIR™, then finished it with a bit of the vegetable broth pasta water– another MAGIC ELIXIR™ and a wonderful and healthful way to finish off the sauce. It’s great topped with parmesan, or keep it vegan and leave the parmesan out. Delicious!
Chickapea Mushroom Ragu Gluten Free Pasta
- 1 cup Shitaki mushrooms
- 1 cup Cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup dried Chanterelle mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp clarified butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup pearl, or regular marinated onions MAGIC ELIXIR™
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- juice of chanterelle mushrooms cooked down, reduced in half (about 3/4 cup)
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 quarts vegetable broth (homemade recipe below or use store-bought)
- 2 packages Chickapea Gluten Free Pasta
- Soak the dried chanterelle mushrooms in 1-1/2 cups hot water. Make sure the mushrooms are covered in the water. Let soak for at least 30 minutes. Set aside and save the mushroom liquid.
- In a small pan, heat the mushroom liquid to a simmer and reduce to half.
- Heat 2 Tbsp clarified butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large fry pan over medium high heat. Add all the mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 1/2 cup Marinated Onions MAGIC ELIXIR™ and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup sherry and the garlic and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add 3/4 cup reduced mushroom liquid and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes. Drain the pasta and keep 1-2 cups of the pasta water. DO NOT rinse the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the mushrooms and gently stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup of the pasta water and stir.
- Serve topped with parmesan and parsley.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 celery stalks with leaves
- 1 celery root
- 2 large carrots
- 1 bunch green onions
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 fresh parsley sprigs
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 potato
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 quarts water
- Chop all the vegetables.
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot and caramelize the vegetables.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Turn down and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
- Strain and keep the liquid as stock.
disclaimer: this post is sponsored by Chickapea Pasta