I’m a gal who’s unapologetic about my love for steak. Frankly, it’s one of the reasons to start doing Whole30! A beautiful steak, sprinkled with salt and pepper, either grilled or pan roasted and finished in the oven is a joy to behold. Of course, I love to to keep things seasonal so right now I’m enjoying my steak with gorgeous sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados. But its so easy to change it up for the season. This salad is great with root vegetables in the Autumn or asparagus in the Spring.
I love Green Goddess 52 weeks a year, it doesn’t matter what season it is! It’s so wonderful as a salad dressing, but I recently stumbled into a great way of thickening it up and making it a dip. Simply blend up a batch of Green Goddess MAGIC ELIXIRS™ with 1/2 of a ripe avocado and a star is born!!
Whole30 Steak Salad with tomatoes, olives, cucumbers and Green Goddess dip MAGIC ELIXIRS™
- 2 1 ½” thick steaks
- 2 cups cucumbers (about 4-5 small), chopped into large chunks
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup green olives
- Marinated Red Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS™ (click here for recipe)
- Green Goddess Dressing MAGIC ELIXIRS™ (click here for recipe)
- ½ of a large avocado
- Salad greens
Bring your steaks to room temperature. Salt and pepper them well.
Place steaks on a hot grill and cook for 8-12 minutes (depending on how you like your steak cooked) Turn halfway through. Remove from grill when and let rest for 5-10 mins or when preparing salad.
To make Green Goddess Dip MAGIC ELIXIRS™ dip, add 1/2 of an avocado to 1 full batch of Green Goddess dressing in food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
To prepare salad, assemble your favorite greens on a large platter. Place cucumbers, green olives and sliced tomatoes on top of the greens, leaving space for the steak. Slice the steak into strips and place on platter. Top with Marinated Red Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS™. Serve with Green Goddess Dip MAGIC ELIXIRS™.
If you are not able to grill outdoors, you can make a great steak inside too! (the following directions are for a 2.5″ steak, so reduce the cook times by about 1/2 for a 1 1/2″ steak.)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over high heat on the stovetop.
- Sear all sides of the steak. Begin by searing one side of the steak in the pan for 4 minutes. Then flip it over and sear the back for 4 more minutes. Using tongs to hold the steak, sear one edge for 1 minute and then flip and sear the opposite edge for 1 minute. Lay the steak flat in the pan and place in the oven.
- Cook steak for 10 minutes.
- Remove and let rest 10 minutes.
Teri’s short cut: Make Marinated Red Onions MAGIC ELIXIRS™ and Green Goddess Dressing MAGIC ELIXIRS™ a day or two ahead.