I took inspiration for these tuna burgers from the cookbook, 30-Minute Paleo Meals. If you are doing Paleo, this delightful book gives you a wide range of ideas that you can tailor to your own tastes, using what you have on hand. This book is a spectacular resource and a springboard.
I’m a gal who loves a fish cake. I make delicious salmon cakes and white fish cakes, so why not a tuna burger? I like how tuna burgers hold together so nicely. I followed the recipe as a guideline, but did my own mix-ins with it and included our best homemade paleo dressing.
- 1 1/2 lbs sushi-grade ahi tuna, cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cups scallions, chopped fine
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons Easy Homemade Mayo
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 cloves confit garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, as garnish
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- Best Paleo Dressing (see recipe below)
- Dipping Sauce (Click here)
Place the fresh tuna into a food processor. Pulse about 5 times, or until the tuna is finely diced. Be sure not to over-process.
To dissolve the red curry paste, use a fork to make a concoction mixing the paste with the coconut aminos until dissolved. Add more aminos, if needed. Then in a large bowl combine the tuna with your red curry paste concoction and all other ingredients.
Heat the clarified butter until melted in a large saucepan over high heat. Then turn down the heat to medium and sear the tuna burgers for 1-2 minutes, then flip and sear another 1-2 minutes, according to your preferred temperature. Do not overcook, or the tuna burgers will dry out.
Serve with The Best Paleo Dressing and garnish with the sesame seeds.
Best Paleo Dressing (Whole30 compliant)
- 1/2 cup Easy Homemade Mayo (see below)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Whisk all ingredients together to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Store for up to a week in an air-tight container.
Easy Homemade Mayo
- 3/4 cup light olive oil
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (or to taste)
Blend the oil, egg, egg yolk, mustard powder, salt and pepper in an emulsion blender until combined and thick (about 15-20 seconds). Then add lemon juice and mix.