I took inspiration for these tuna burgers from the cookbook, 30-Minute Paleo Meals. If you are doing Paleo, this delightful book gives you a wide range of ideas that you can tailor to your own tastes, using what you have on hand. This book is a spectacular resource and a springboard.
I’m a gal who loves a fish cake. I make delicious salmon cakes and white fish cakes, so why not a tuna burger? I like how tuna burgers hold together so nicely. I followed the recipe as a guideline, but did my own mix-ins with it and included our best homemade paleo dressing.
- 1 1/2 lbs sushi-grade ahi tuna, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons Easy Homemade Mayo
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 cloves confit garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil for cooking
- Best Paleo Dressing (see recipe below)
Place the fresh tuna into a food processor. Pulse about 5 times, or until the tuna is finely diced. Be sure not to over-process.
To dissolve the red curry paste, use a fork to make a concoction mixing the paste with the coconut aminos until dissolved. Add more aminos, if needed. Then in a large bowl combine the tuna with your red curry paste concoction and (except for the sesame oil) all other ingredients.
Heat the sesame oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Sear the tuna burgers for 1-2 minutes, then flip and sear another 1-2 minutes, according to your preferred temperature.
Serve with The Best Paleo Dressing.
Best Paleo Dressing (Whole30 compliant)
- 1/2 cup Easy Homemade Mayo (see below)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Whisk all ingredients together to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Store for up to a week in an air-tight container.
Easy Homemade Mayo
- 3/4 cup light olive oil
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (or to taste)
Blend the oil, egg, egg yolk, mustard powder, salt and pepper in an emulsion blender until combined and thick (about 15-20 seconds). Then add lemon juice and mix.