Rice Salad with Fava Beans and Pistachios
- ½ cup wild rice
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 dried Iranian lime (optional)
- cup fresh shelled fava beans (from about 1 lb. pods) or frozen, thawed
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup unsalted, raw pistachios
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp Iranian lime powder or 1 finely grated lime zest
Recipe Tips Preparation
- Cook wild rice in a medium pot of boiling salted water until tender and grains start to split, 35–40 minutes. Drain; let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine basmati rice, lime, if using, and 1½ cups water in a medium saucepan, season with salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover; let sit until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Let cool; discard lime.
- If using fresh fava beans, cook in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain; transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain and peel. (If using frozen fava beans, cook 2 minutes; transfer to a bowl of ice water, then drain.)
- Toss wild rice, basmati rice, dill, parsley, pistachios, oil, lemon zest and juice, lime powder, and fava beans in a large bowl; season with salt.
Do Ahead: Fava beans can be cooked and peeled 2 days ahead; cover and chill. Wild and basmati rice can be cooked 2 days ahead; cover and chill.
Tip: Dried Iranian limes, also known as limu omani, are available at Middle Eastern markets and online.