Band Mother Buffet Salad
This Buffet Salad recipe is something you just have to trust me on! I know when you look at the ingredients you might think, how could that possibly work? But trust me, it absolutely does. My mother’s friend and her fellow band member, Mary, has been making this dish for our annual Mother Daughter luncheon for decades at this point. It is always a huge hit.
This recipe brings me such fond memories of my mother and so many loved ones. I hear “You Are My Sunshine” being sung and feel so much love. This buffet salad is a very special one to get to share on the page, so I hope you enjoy it!
What You Need to Make Buffet Salad
I know the ingredient list could seem like a head scratcher, but just stay with me here, people:
- Lime jello
- Cream cheese
- Green pepper
The jello, avocados, cream cheese and mayo create a beautiful creaminess that you fold the celery, peppers, and onion into to create the mold.
For the sauce, you’ll need:
- Heavy cream
- Chili sauce
- Curry powder
- Salt & pepper
The sauce is a luscious cream sauce that beautifully complements the flavor of the mold.
How to Make Your Buffet Salad
Make the Mold
Dissolve jello in very hot water and let cool for five minutes. In a blender, blend the avocados, cream cheese, mayo, and jello. Fold the mixture with the celery, green pepper, and onion in a mixing bowl. Add to a greased mold and let set overnight.
Make the Sauce
Whip the heavy cream until there are soft peaks and fold in the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate overnight.
When ready to serve, demold the pan by submerging the mold into warm water, but only half way up, and then flipping onto a serving platter. Spoon sauce over the jello but save some of the sauce for dipping.
Serve with shrimp and crab meat. Garnish with green grapes, cranberries, or pomegranates.
It’s a simple recipe, but it’s one of those lovely family recipes that feels so exciting and special to indulge in. I am so excited to share it with you all. If you make this buffet salad recipe, let me know what you think in the comments below. I can’t hear! If you’re looking for more fun, sign up for our Friday Favorites newsletter, and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.Print
This is a family recipe that is perfect for the holidays. It’s easy to make, and it is always a big hit!
For the Mold:
- 2 packages lime jello
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1 large package cream cheese
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 small onion, minced
For the Seafood Sauce:
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chili sauce
- Ketchup to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash Worcestershire
- Salt, pepper
- 1 cup mayo
Can Serve With:
- 2 pounds cooked shrimp
- 1 can crab meat
- Green grapes, raw cranberries, or pomegranate arils
- Dissolve jello in very hot water and let cool for five minutes.
- In a blender, blend the avocados, cream cheese, mayo, and jello.
- Fold the mixture with the celery, green pepper, and onion in a mixing bowl. Add to a greased mold and let set overnight.
- Make the sauce. Whip the heavy cream until there are soft peaks and fold in the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, demold the pan by submerging the mold into warm water for 10 seconds, but only half way up the mold. Jiggle the mold and then flip it onto a serving platter. If the mold does not release, place a warm towel over the mold on the platter and gently rotate the pan until it releases.
- Serve on a bed of greens. Spoon sauce over the jello but save some of the sauce for dipping.
- Serve with green grapes and shrimp alternating in sections around the mold. Garnish with cranberries or pomegranates. It is also delicious with crab meat.
Keywords: buffet salad, jello salad