Whole30 success is all about meal prep and my much-loved Heroine Chicken is probably my favorite meal prep dish.
So, if you have never made my Heroine Chicken — now is the time!! Let’s go!!Print
This chicken is an absolutely delicious dish, and it is perfect for meal prep!
- 1 butterflied chicken
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp peppercorns, crushed into good-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- A couple of handfuls of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Butterfly the chicken or have the butcher do it for you. Salt the chicken well with kosher salt — make sure every crevice is covered
- In a bowl mix lemon, peppercorn, olive oil and garlic. (Important: make surethe peppercorns are crushed into large pieces.)
- Place the chickenin a 24-40 cup container with lid. Make sure that the container is deep enough (I use a 16” ish x 10” ish x 5”ish deep) This recipe is all about the marinade so it’s important that the container fits the entire chicken or you will lose marinade.
- Pour half of the marinade evenly over the bird. Sprinkle with half of the parsley, about ahandful. Flip the chicken over and evenly cover the other side of the chicken with the restof the marinade. Then sprinkle the remaining parsley. Marinate for 48 hours.
- When the chicken is done marinating, wipe off the excess marinade and parsley. Then, roast the chicken skin side up in a 375°F oven for about 45 minutes. As quickly as you can, baste with the chicken fat, close the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- If the chicken is not brown enough, baste again, turn up to 425° and bake for 5 more minutes. If the wing tips are getting too brown, cover them up with foil.
Keywords: chicken, roasted chicken