Green salad with Citrus Feta Vinaigrette
This salad is the perfect balance of light and hearty! It is a great quick lunch or as a side salad for dinner.
For the vinaigrette:
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces Feta cheese, optional
For the salad:
- 4 — 5 ounces Romaine lettuce, or mixed greens (use your favorites) chopped into ribbons
- 4 — 4 ½ ounces arugula
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half longways
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1 container artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half (or quarters if they are large)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
Start by making your dressing. You can make this in a food processor or in a medium sized bowl with a whisk.
Pour orange juice into bowl and slowly add olive oil, whisking, so it emulsifies. Add the Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to taste, lemon rind and blend together. Optionally, add the feta cheese and blend until creamy. (If you use a food processor, add all ingredients and mix until emulsified. Then add feta and blend some more until creamy (or the consistency that you like.)
Assemble salad. Start by mixing greens together and place in a bowl. Salt the greens with a generous pinch of salt. Then top with tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, artichoke hearts and walnuts. Finish by topping off with vinaigrette (or toss it if you’d like).