Enter the giveaway at the bottom of this post!
I’m so excited about this recipe! Partnering with Icelandic Provisions lets me do what I love: use their Skyr to produce recipes for my followers! A couple months ago, I was inspired to create a creamy fall chicken dish, and I liked the idea of using Skyr as a base.
Icelandic Provisions Skyr is absolutely one of my magic elixirs. It’s the only real Skyr in the US that uses heirloom Skyr cultures dating back centuries in Iceland. Cultures are what define Skyr and give it its unparalleled rich, creamy taste and texture. I’ve tried a few, and this one’s by far the best!
I enjoy food updated with a twist, so I started by creating a custom spice blend of hot paprika, coriander, Maras pepper, Aleppo pepper, caraway seeds and cumin–a spice profile that I love. Blended with lemon, garlic, olive oil, fresh turmeric, ginger and Icelandic Provisions Skyr, it’s a unique explosion of flavors. Having an updated spice profile or two is important and lets you change things up in the kitchen. But if what you have on hand is chili powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, and paprika, that works too. I marinate chicken thighs in the combination overnight and roast in the oven until golden-brown and bubbly. Absolutely scrumptious!
We loved this dish so much that we made it three times in one week. It is so wonderfully easy to make and delicious the day you make it, but so satisfying to have as leftovers–it’s great re-heated! This recipe is a must do.
Although this dish isn’t Paleo, click here for a wonderful recipe of something similar that is.
Fusion Pepper Chicken
- 1 Tbsp hot paprika
- 1 Tbsp coriander
- 1 Tbsp Maras pepper
- 1 Tbsp Aleppo pepper
- 1 Tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 Tbsp sumac
- 2 packages plain Icelandic Provisions Skyr
- 12 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 handful ginger, grated and squeezed (no need to peel)
- 1 handful turmeric, grated and squeezed (no need to peel)
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Make a spice blend by combing paprika, coriander, Maras pepper, Aleppo pepper, caraway seeds and sumac together. Measure out 2-3 Tbsp spice blend for this recipe and store the reminder for another day.
- In a bowl, stir 2 packages plain Icelandic Provisions Skyr with 2-3 Tbsp of the spice blend, lemon juice, ginger, turmeric, olive oil and garlic and combine well.
- Pour mixture over chicken thighs, cover, and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 3 hours, or overnight if you have time.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and let warm back to room temperature. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and bake for about 55 minutes, or until golden-brown and bubbly.
- Serve the chicken on top of the rice pilaf. Bon Appetit!
- 1 cup white rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Boil 1-1/2 cups water with 1 Tbsp butter. Add the rice and stir. Once boiling, cover, turn heat down to a simmer, and cook 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn heat off, leave covered, and let rest for 10 more minutes. When done, fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, make a mirepoix. Begin by coating the bottom of a large pan with olive oil, about 2 Tbsp.
- Over medium-high heat, cook onions, carrots and celery for about 10-15 minutes, or until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Combine rice with the mirepoix and add salt and pepper to taste.
disclaimer: this post is in partnership with Icelandic Provisions