This vegan tofu sandwich is so luscious and delicious! You’ll love it for lunch or dinner whether you are a vegan or not!
For the Tofu
- 1 pound extra-firm Tofu
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup tamari
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the Sandwich
Make the Tofu
- To release the moisture from the tofu, wrap the block of tofu in paper towel or in a kitchen towel. Place a heavy pot or plate on top of the wrapped tofu to weigh it down and squeeze out excess moisture. Let sit for about 10 minutes, the block will feel firmer.
- Next, slice the tofu lengthwise into 5 or 6, ½-inch-thick, planks.
- In a medium bowl add the water, tamari, salt, pepper, dried oregano, roasted garlic, onion powder, dried basil, and dried dill. Stir to combine. In a large container place the tofu planks and pour the marinade over the tofu to coat completely. Refrigerate for 2 hours or, preferably, overnight.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the tofu planks and cook until golden brown, for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Add ¼ cup of the marinade and cook for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until it reduces to a thick glaze. Remove from heat and set aside.
Assemble the Sandwich
- Spread vegan butter on the bread slices, then toast them.
- Assemble the sandwiches by generously spreading pistachio pesto on one side of 2 of the toasted slices. Add the giardiniera, if using, on top of the pistachio pesto, then add the avocado slices. Drizzle on the vegan ranch and arrange the tomato slices. On the other 2 toasted slices, layer the tofu, arugula and marinated red onions and a drizzle of the red onion oil. Sprinkle salt over onions an arugula, close the sandwiches and enjoy.
Keywords: tofu sandwich, vegan sandwich