This strata is the perfect Christmas morning breakfast! I love making this with the whole family for a simple, delicious and soulful dish.
- 8 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 6 slices gluten-free Canyon Bakehouse Heritage Honey White or regular sandwich bread (if using a different brand or a loaf of gluten-free bread on the smaller size, measure 10 ounces of bread)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 ounces sheep’s milk feta, drained
- 1/2 cup Marinated Onions
- Drain the defrosted spinach, and using your hands or in a paper towel or cheesecloth, squeeze as much of the water content as you can. You want this to be as dry as possible.
- Cut the crusts off of the bread slices. Butter one side of each slice, then cut them into 1 1/2-inch squares. Depending on the size of your bread, that could be cutting the slices into quarters or sixths. Lay the cut bread, buttered side up, in one layer in a medium-sized baking dish. If you have butter left over, flip the squares over in the dish and butter the unbuttered sides.
- Beat the eggs, milk, dry mustard, and salt together. Then stir the squeezed spinach and mix. Pour the mixture over the bread in the pan. Crumble the feta over the top as evenly as you can and spread the marinated onion rings evenly over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight, at minimum.
- When you are ready to bake, remove the pan from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350°F. The strata should rest outside of the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes, you do not want to bake right out of the fridge.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour then then tent it loosely with foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the center feels firm and done. Bake until golden brown and a bit of oil bubbles around the edges. Remove from the oven and serve warm.