This Pomegranate Whole30 Chopped Salad is a great weeknight dinner! You can prep so much in advance and enjoy all week long!
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more
- 12 ounces baby romaine, cut into thin ribbons
- 1 to 2 medium avocados, cut into cubes
- 1 can medium pitted green olives, cut into halves
- Seeds from one pomegranate
- Marinated Red Onions, optional
- Creamy Chive Dressing
- Make the marinade: Combine the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, oregano, salt, and the black pepper together and set aside.
- Make the chicken: You will cut the chicken breasts horizontally into thirds to create thin cutlets, and will need a very sharp knife, so please be careful.
- For ease of cutting, freeze the chicken breasts for about an hour or two, or until they’re just partially frozen. Lay the breast flat on a cutting board, and place one hand on top of the breast to stabilize it. Then angle your knife so that the flat side of the blade is horizontal to the cutting board and carefully, slowly cut across the breast 1/3 at the point where it is 1/3 of its thickness. This creates a thin cutlet. Then slice the remaining piece in half in the same manner, so you end up with 3 thin cutlets.
- If you don’t feel confident doing this, feel free to purchase chicken cutlets instead of chicken breasts and skip this step. Or ask your butcher to cut these for you.
- Salt the chicken thoroughly. Place in a container with the marinade and marinate for at least an hour in the refrigerator, or overnight if you can.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sauté as many chicken cutlets as your pan will fit without overcrowding for until browned and crispy, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side depending on thickness. Set aside and continue cooking the remaining chicken, adding olive oil as needed.
- Tip: The second (and any other) batch will cook a little faster because the pan will be hot and it is recommended that you check around 2 ½ minutes per side.
- On a cutting board, cube the chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a large salad bowl, add the ribboned romaine and salt your greens. While reserving a small amount of each, add the pomegranate seeds, olives, avocado, and chicken to the salad bowl. Add marinated onions, if using, and drizzle the creamy chive dressing to your liking and toss the salad. Garnish with reserved ingredients and serve.
Teri Tip: If you want to prepare a fourth chicken breast with the marinade and cook, it makes for great leftovers that you can have later.
Keywords: whole30 chopped salad, chopped salad