This Nicoise Sandwich is great for weekend eating! It takes a few steps and a bit of time, but the results are absolutely worth it.
For the Creamy Chive Citrus Dressing:
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 anchovies
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the sandwich:
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- ¼ pound French green beans
- 1/2 pound baby potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium French baguette, cut in half then sliced in half horizontally but not all the way through, so they open like books.
- 1-2 (4.5-ounce) cans high quality tuna packed in olive oil
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes or whatever is in season, thinly sliced
- ½ cup black pitted olives, sliced
- Marinated Red Onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the Dressing: In a wide mouth mason jar, using an immersion blender to blend, place the egg and slowly add the light olive oil until it emulsifies and thickens. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate to allow the dressing to thicken while you make the salad.
- Prepare two medium bowls of iced water. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt.
- Add the green beans and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Using a slotted spoon or tongs (as you need to use the boiling water for the potatoes and eggs next), transfer the beans to one of the iced water bowls to stop the cooking. Let them sit for about 5 minutes, then remove the beans and dry them with a kitchen towel. Set aside.
- In the same boiling water, add the baby potatoes to the boiling water and boil until done but not mushy, for 12 to 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes from the water to a baking sheet to cool.
- In the same boiling water, add the eggs and boil for 7 ½ to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs and cool in the remaining ice water for a few seconds and take them out to peel. Cut the eggs into halves and set aside.
- Using a spoon, gently smash the potatoes one by one. Put the smashed potatoes in a bowl and lightly toss them with three tablespoons of the chive dressing.
- Toast the baguettes until they are crunchy to your preference. Scoop and hollow out the bready centers of each of the halves.
- Assemble each sandwich by adding half a tin or more of tuna to the bottom halves and season with a little freshly ground pepper. Drizzle one tablespoon of the chive dressing over top. Top that with six French green beans, two or three slices of Roma tomatoes, dressed potatoes, olives, and 2 halves of a boiled egg. Add arugula and top with marinated onions. Close the sandwich with a gentle squeeze.
- If you’re taking this sandwich to go, definitely wrap it in foil! It will help contain everything as it travels and while eating.
Keywords: nicoise sandwich