These roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish! They are Whole30, packed with nutrients, and so satisfying and delicious.
- 2 California orange flesh sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil or regular olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- Marinated Red Onions
- Creamy Chive Dressing (recipe below)
For the Creamy Chive Citrus Dressing:
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 anchovy
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Make the Roasted California Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F .
- Wash and peel your potatoes*.
- Cut the potatoes into ¼ inch rounds and slice them into squares, about 1/3 inches by 1/3 inches. We divided each round into 9 even pieces by cutting into thirds, rotating 90 degrees then cutting the strips into thirds as well. You want to yield 3 cups of sweet potatoes, which for us came from 2 regular sized sweet potatoes.
- Place the sweet potato cubes on your baking tray and toss with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Gently spread the cut sweet potatoes out in one layer.
- Put the sheet tray in the oven and check after 20 minutes. If you notice at this point that some of the chunks are cooked, crispy, and golden, remove them to a plate and lightly salt, set aside. Continue to bake the rest of the sweet potato chunks 10 to 15 minutes more, or until crispy and golden, but not burned (keep an eye on them!).
- NOTE: Roasting sweet potatoes is tricky. They can take between 20 and 45 minutes depending on your oven, the potato, the cut, or even the sheet try. Twenty minutes is the jumping off point and then you watch them, checking every few minutes until done. No one knows your oven more than you, so use that knowledge to time your potatoes.
- Make the Creamy Chive Citrus Dressing: In a wide mouth mason jar, using an immersion blender to blend, place the egg and slowly add the light olive oil until it emulsifies and thickens. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate to allow the dressing to thicken while you make the salad.
- Place the roasted sweet potatoes in a bowl and top with the Creamy Chive Citrus Dressing and Marinated Onions and enjoy!
*For a Vegan Dressing, omit the egg and light olive oil and use 1 cup of Vegan Mayo.
Keywords: roasted sweet potatoes