- 5 1/2 “rows” of Saltine crackers
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 6 cups chicken or turkey stock (the original recipe called for much list, but 6 cups gave me the right consistency.)
- 3 1/2 sticks butter (can you believe it? It’s an artery clogger, but it was my mother!)
- 3 1/4 cups chopped celery
- Dried sage
- 2–3 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- Celery salt to taste
- 2 handfuls of Pepperidge Farm stuffing (store bought stuffing so not necessary, but we do it anyway!)
- Optional: sauted, chopped gizzards
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, crush all of the saltine crackers into rough, large, uneven pieces. Add in the Pepperidge Farm stuffing.
Chop the onion and celery. Over medium heat, melt butter and saute the onions and celery until translucent.
Add the onion, celery and butter mixture to the crackers. Gradually add the stock to the mixture, tossing together. You might want to add more until you get to the consistency you like. (if you are adding gizzards, this is where you want to mix them in.) Add seasoning to taste. Mix well and place in a large baking pan. Bake at 350° for about 1 hour.