This stuffing is a play on a Chicago Tribune recipe from 33 years ago. Bacon, sausage & a caramelized mirepoix make this stuffing so delicious.
- 4 loaves (1 pound each) sliced white bread
- 2 pounds sliced bacon
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage with sage
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 cups chicken or turkey stock (the original recipe calls for 3-4 cups, but I ended up using 8 total)
- 1/4 cup dried sage leaves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tear the bread into ¾” – 1” pieces and let stand, uncovered, at room temperature, overnight to allow the bread to try out. (if you don’t have time the night before – you can bake the cubes in a 200°F oven, stirring often, until dry, about 45-60 minutes)
- Dice the bacon, onions and celery and place all of it into a large, deep skillet with sausage. Cook until thoroughly browned, 30-45 minutes. Drain the fat off occasionally as it cooks. When fully cooked, drain the remaining fat. Transfer drained mixture into a large bowl. Do not wash the skillet.
- Melt butter in the same skillet. Add 1 cup of stock and heat to a simmer, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cool slightly.
- Add the bread, sage, poultry seasoning, pepper and salt to the sausage and bacon mixture. Pour some of the stock mixture from the skillet and toss everything lightly. Gradually add the remaining stock until the desired texture is reached. (You may need to use more stock to get the right consistency. This stuffing is not crumbly, you won’t see a lot of individual pieces of bread when it’s fully mixed.)
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. The stuffing can be made ahead of time if you’d like. Just cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. Bake in a large baking pan at 350°F for about 60 minutes, but you can bake for longer if you like a crispier stuffing.
If you are cooking for a smaller group of 6-8 people, make half the recipe and reduce bake time to 45 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 heaping scoop
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 463.9 mg
- Fat: 13.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.4 g
- Protein: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 31.3 mg
Keywords: stuffing recipe, Thanksgiving, side dish, dressing, Thanksgiving recipe