This holiday salad is a great appetizer for any holiday gathering. It’s quick and easy to make so it’s a stress free addition to the menu!
For Grandma Bobbie’s Glazed Pecans
- Butter for greasing
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups pecans
For the Salad
- 5 ounces butter or bib lettuce, any soft lettuce works
- Kosher salt
- 2 persimmons, thinly sliced in rounds
- 1 pear, cut in half then thinly sliced
- 1 apple, cut in half then thinly sliced
- 3 mandarins, peeled and thinly sliced in rounds
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- Balsamic Poppyseed Dressing, recipe below
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Balsamic Poppyseed Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons high-quality balsamic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Make Grandma Bobbie’s Glazed Pecans
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Grease a small baking sheet with butter. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the water, coconut sugar, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly to quickly caramelize, then add the pecans and stir to coat completely. Cook for an additional minute. Turn off heat and pour the pecans into the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until deeply browned—but watch closely as they can easily burn. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool on foil, then break them apart.
- NOTE: Use half for the salad and half for snacking! They store well in an airtight container.
Make the Dressing
- Combine the olive oil, poppyseeds, lemon juice, honey, balsamic, salt and mustard in a masor jar. Shake until throughly combined and enjoy!
Assemble the Salad
- Spread the greens out on a large platter. Sprinkle some salt on top. Artfully arrange the persimmon , pear, apple and mandarin slices in a beautiful way. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds all over the salad. Distribute the goat cheese and 1 cup of the glazed pecans. Pour a little bit of the most delicious dressing, Balsamic Poppyseed, over the top and serve more on the side. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy!
Keywords: holiday salad, appetizer salad