This soup is a family favorite. It’s going to be in your weekly rotation in no time!
For the soup:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 4 red peppers, cut into halves, seeds and veins removed and finely sliced
- 2 tsp of salt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups of chicken stock (add more if you like a thinner soup)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- Applegate Perfect Oven bacon, about 2 slices per serving (see how-to below)
- Cashew Crema MAGIC ELIXIRS (Recipe below)
For the Cashew Crema:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Making the soup:
HEAT 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium to medium high heat in a large Dutch oven. Cook onion, red pepper, and 2 tsp salt, until soft but not brown, about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally so it does not burn.
ADD garlic and cook for another 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock plus 1 tsp vinegar and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
COOL slightly and then pour into a Vitamix or blender and blend until smooth.
SERVE topped with sprinkles of crumbled Applegate Whole30 approved bacon.
Making the Perfect Oven Bacon:
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Line sheet pan with parchment paper.
PLACE bacon flat on the sheet pan.
COOK in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until crispy.
Making the Cashew Crema:
Soak the cashews in water (enough water that the cashews are covered by an inch) for at least 2 hours, but can be as long as overnight. Rinse well. Blend the cashews with 1/4 cup of water and the sea salt. Add more water as needed to make the cashew cream the consistency you like. I usually do 3/4 cup of water.