This is a no-fuss Spicy Chicken Stock that will absolutely pack any soup with tons of flavor!
- 4 quarts of water
- 3 Lb chicken, whole
- 3 celery stalks, cut in half
- 2 carrots, cut in half
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1 bunch of cilantro or parsley (no need to trim)
- 5 dried chilies de arbol
- 2 dried guajillo chiles (optional)
- 1 jalapeno halved, seeds removed
- 1 head garlic (top cut off)
- ½ apple
- 1 tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp whole peppercorn
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 3 dried bay leaves
In a large stock pot, bring the water to boil.
Add all the ingredients to the pot. Return to a boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer on low for 45 minutes.
Pull out the chicken and cut off the legs, reserving the remaining chicken for the soup later. Return the legs to the stock. Simmer the stock another 15 minutes.
Pour the stock through a strainer into a bowl. Transfer to jars or a large container. Save the chicken pieces for the Spicy Chicken Soup (recipe on next post).