- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup celery, chopped (about 2 stalks)
- 2/3 cup carrot, chopped (about 1 large)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp compliant tomato paste
- 1 — 28 ounce can of tomatoes
- 4 cups compliant chicken stock
In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and bay leaves and stir until fragrant, about 1 minutes. Push the vegetables to one side and add the tomato paste, let it toast on the bottom of the pan for 1 minute then stir into the vegetables.
Add the tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until significantly reduced, about 1 hour. Discard the bay leaves. Puree the sauce in the blender (or use a hand-held immersion blender). Return the sauce to the pot.
If you have made meatballs, add them to the sauce by gently placing a few at a time. Let simmer together for about 15 minutes.