This is the Ultimate Hot Dog for your summer barbecue!
- 8 thick hot dogs, or knockwursts
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, sliced thinly crosswise (you made need to cut them in half to fit)
- 4 to 5 ounces Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Munster, or Gruyere cheese, cut into small strips
- Thin cut raw bacon strips
- 8 brioche buns, or high quality white hot dog buns
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Diced onions
- Turn one side of the grill on high, leaving the other off as you will cook the hotdogs indirectly.
- Cut a slit into each hotdog lengthwise. Fill with the jalapenos and cheese. Then wrap with bacon around the hotdog. Tie each in three places with butcher’s string to hold in the filling. TIP: you can do this part a day ahead and store in the refrigerator in plastic or Tupperware.
- Place the hot dogs on the off side of the grill, and cook indirectly for about 20 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Snip off the strings and discard.
- Brush the inside of the buns with the melted butter and place on the grill for 1 minute. Serve the hot dogs in the buns with toppings of choice.
If absolutely necessary, these hot dogs can be baked in the oven at 350, but watch them carefully.
Keywords: grilling ideas, hot dog recipes, summer barbecue recipes